Visitors Please Note: If you need language assistance please email LAC@huntingdoncounty.net
Huntingdon County was established on the 20th day of September 1787. It had been created out of Bedford County, which in turn had been part of Cumberland County. Land taken from Huntingdon County to form parts of Centre and Cambria Counties reduced the size of Huntingdon County, and on February 26, 1846, with the creation of Blair County from a portion of Huntingdon County, the present boundaries of the County were established.
Since the creation of the County, there have been three courthouses. The first Huntingdon County Court House was completed in 1797 and was located in the middle of Third Street on the south side of Penn Street in Huntingdon Borough. After outgrowing this structure and site, a second Court House was erected in 1842 on the site of the present structure, Penn Street between Second and Third Streets. The present Court House was designed by M.E. Beebe of Buffalo, New York in a French Renaissance style. The structure was completed in 1883, with major renovations occurring in the 1930’s, a new clock tower, and 1972, addition of office space to the west side of the building and general remodeling to the entire building.
Judges in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania are prohibited by the judicial rules of ethics from discussing cases with members of the public. Please do not contact the chambers of judges to ask questions about cases, to discuss cases or to comment on cases. Judges and their staffs are unable to respond to such communications. Judges are also prohibited from reading e-mails or letters regarding cases. In addition, court personnel are prohibited from giving legal advice. All court filings must be made through the Prothonotary’s Office.